The student news site of Northwest College

Northwest Trail

Cody Enterprise editor looks back on time at NWC

Amber Peabody, Reporter 2000-2002

As a photography major at the Northwest College most of my time was spent in the photo lab and studios working on assignments, so it was always a welcome change of place to head across the hallway to the rooms that housed the Northwest Trail.

Prior to my time at the Trail I had never worked for a newspaper, but I had participated in yearbook in high school and enjoyed writing so I gave it a try. As a reporter I covered a variety of topics from sports to student government. I also put my photography skills to use occasionally.

An introvert, talking to people didn’t come easy (it still doesn’t) but working for the Trail continued to push me out of my comfort zone. I came to enjoy interviewing people and learning their stories. I’m grateful to advisor Dennis Davis for his guidance and encouragement, without which I would likely have not even attempted some of the stories I did.

I also learned the basics of news writing and meeting deadlines, something that would prove valuable in the years to come.

When I graduated in May 2002 I returned home to Riverton unsure of the next step in my future. I considered becoming a portrait photographer, but this was before digital cameras took over the industry and made the job much easier to break into.

My mom suggested while I figured things out, I apply for a sports writing position at our local paper. I reluctantly agreed, but am so glad I did, as the decision set me on my current path.

My clips from the Trail got me hired and the job quickly became so much more than sports writing. I also took photos and wrote several news and feature stories.

Confident now that I should pursue journalism, I began looking at colleges and eventually decided on Washington State University.

My second day I campus I applied for a job at its paper the Daily Evergreen, where I met the majority of friends I’m still in contact with today.

I graduated with a degree in Communications (emphasis in journalism) in 2005 and found myself returning to Wyoming as a reporter at the Cody Enterprise. Always wanting to expand and grow my skills, I later branched out into designing pages, creating video and web content, and eventually editing. Eventually I was promoted to Special Sections Editor, News Editor and now Editor.

Although I live just 24 miles away and have been to Powell many times since moving back to Wyoming, I rarely find myself on the NWC campus. Last year I had a meeting in the Fagerberg Building though and when I was done I ventured over to the photo lab and across the hall to the Trail. Walking into the room was in a way like coming home. Some of my fondest college memories happened there.

My time as part of the Trail staff brought some great friends, and even now years later our time at the Trail almost always comes up when we see each other.

It saddens me to think that future Northwest College students won’t have a chance to be part such a quality newspaper. Without it I can say for certain I wouldn’t be where I am today.