The student news site of Northwest College

Northwest Trail

Ouija: Origin of Evil

Alex Nicholson and Chelsea Blake

Alex: The first was a cheap cash-in on a Hasbro board game. A horror film that opens with a Hasbro logo shouldn’t even exist, let alone be as big a piece of trash that the first movie was. I’m saddened by the fact that it was successful enough to warrant this sequel.

That being said, this movie doesn’t look terrible. It looks like a decent period piece, and despite the awful product placement, the premise is interesting. A woman pretending to be a medium encountering a real supernatural entity. We have an okay plot for an okay horror movie.

However, that is as far as I will go, because the trailer may or may not be a good indicator for what actually happens in the movie. For all I know, the good, slow, and quiet tone of parts of the trailer is going to be drowned out by loud, obnoxious jump scares, because that is the only way to make horror films nowadays.

Besides, this is the same company that made “Jem and the Holograms” last year. This could also be truly, truly outrageous.

Chelsea: For one, I am not a fan of scary movies, but after watching the trailer for this I’m actually considering seeing it. I thought it was comical showing the table and the couple saying it was a “scam,” because obviously it was. Showing the little girl being consumed by an evil spirit gives away most of the movie.

It seems that the movie will be more of a thriller than horror which is good for most people like me who don’t do scary movies. I wouldn’t go to a theatre to watch it though, I’ll probably wait for it to be available on DVR or Netflix.