The student news site of Northwest College

Northwest Trail

Boo! A Madea Halloween

Alex Nicholson and Chelsea Blake

Alex: I have nothing against Tyler Perry as a person. He seems like a nice guy. But he needs to stop making films. He is not a smart screenwriter. He is not a funny screenwriter. He is not a good screenwriter.

Or director. Or actor. He hasn’t made anything better than “Okay,” and those are drowned out by his more stupid and more popular films.

In this case with “Boo! A Madea Halloween,” it not only looks stupid, it looks lazy and stupid. The trailer is really proud of it’s “I see dead people” joke, which is not only a joke that got old fifteen years ago, but it is really ignorant.

“Get it, they replace the word dead with white, because furthering racial stereotypes is exactly what we need in our culture right now!”

I understand some people find it funny, and that’s fine. I can’t stop you from enjoying something. But if you don’t mind, I’m going to watch “Luke Cage” instead, because that is better written, better directed, better acted, and an all around better product.

Chelsea: At first it doesn’t seem like a Madea movie but then you’re able to catch on after a while. I love Madea movies, and hopefully this one will still carry that love. It may seem a little cheesy with a couple lines and the clowns, but then Madea punches them so it’s okay.

It kind of felt like a “Scary Movie” but with Tyler Perry. I don’t have high expectations for the new Madea movie, but a funny movie is a good movie. Though it may not be a sit-in-a-theatre-eating-expensive-popcorn, type of a movie, I’ll just wait for Netflix or RedBox.