The student news site of Northwest College

Northwest Trail

Men’s soccer finding hard roads to victories

Chelsea Blake

Chelsea Blake

Hagen Hunsaker, Sports Editor

NWC Men’s soccer is ranked 4th in Region IX play, with a 2-4-1 record. With the return of sophomore goalie Nate Snyder returning to the field after being injured brings the maturity that the soccer team needed in the goal.

The team played Sheridan College on Oct. 21, NWC went up early with four goals in the first half. Sheridan held NWC to no goals in the second half, resulting in NWC taking the win 4-0.

NWC traveled to Price, Utah for a nonconference match up  and  pulled out a victory even with the Trappers receiving four yellow cards, and freshman Nashon Rullow being red carded which resulted in him being removed from the game.

Jay Younger put the Trappers up, 21 minutes in with an assist from Jacob Lamm, NWC followed Younger’s goal with another at the 25 minute mark. Utah State University-Eastern’s Omar Nila scored putting them on the board to end the first half.   The second half, neither of the teams put up any points, the game ended 2-1 with NWC winning the game.

Oct. 1, NWC played Western Wyoming for a conference match up. Earlier in the season the Trappers lost 2-1 to Western Wyoming.

NWC scored early with an assist from Danny Merritt, Western followed up with a score tying the game 1-1. Younger scored at the 30 minute mark with an assist from Danny Mort. The second half NWC let Western score twice putting the score 2-3. Western would go on to win the match 2-3.

Oct. 7, NWC took on 1st ranked LCCC. Laramie County’s Jorge Rosales lead the team with two scores in the first half. LCCC’s Fernando Uribe also scored in the first half with an assist from Jordan Garcia. At half LCCC was up 3-0, which would eventually become the end score of the game.

Oct. 8, NWC played Western Nebraska at Trapper Field. The Trappers had control of the game, with freshman Liam Randles scoring while following his shot to tap the ball back in, after Western Nebraska’s goalie dropped the ball saving Randle’s the original kick.

NWC increased it’s lead with a score, off of a penalty kick by Mort, 30 minutes into the first half. Mort followed his previous goal with another one with 9 minutes left in the half. NWC headed into the half, 3-0 over Western Nebraska.

Western Nebraska came out in the second half with Travis Mundell scoring unassisted putting the score 3-1. Mundell followed up his earlier goal with a goal at the 82 minute mark. Five minutes later Western Nebraska’s JP Santos scored tying the game and sending the match into over time.

The first over time came with neither of the teams scoring sending the game into a second over time.  The match ended after the second over time as a draw 3-3.

Newest addition to the soccer team freshman goalkeeper Blake Hinze, a 2016 graduate of Cody High School, joined the team after the semester had started.

Hinze, recruited to NWC to play basketball is red shirting this season.

Hinze is ranked 5th in saves with 21, 5th in saves percentage with a .636, and 5th in goals against average with a 2.67. He is also tied for 1st in goals against.

The team travels to Colorado,  Oct. 14-15, to wrap up conference play against Trinidad State Junior College and Otero Junior College.