The student news site of Northwest College

Northwest Trail

Volleyball team undefeated and still getting stronger

Chelsea Blake

Chelsea Blake

Hagen Hunsaker, Sports Editor

With  a 14-5 record, in Region IX play the Trappers are 7-0. NWC Volleyball is ranked 1st in conference and regional play.

On Sept. 23 the Trappers played Western Wyoming, winning in three sets, 25-20, 25-23, 25-20. NWC volleyball’s duo from California, Holly Pittman and Lauga Gauta, lead the team with 9 kills each, followed by Lauryn Dela Cruz with 8 kills. Reilley Baty finish the match with 33 assists.

Sept. 24 Trappers played Central Wyoming Community College. Dela Cruz picked up a double-double with 13 kills and a team high of 10 digs. Gauta followed Dela Cruz with 10 kills and 5 service aces. Baty followed up the 33 assists from the day before adding 40 assists and 3 aces. NWC beat Central 3-0.

Casper College easily took the first two sets on Sept. 30. The Trappers with the help of a controversial touch call in favor for Northwest used the momentum to come back in a down third set to win 27-25. NWC would go on to win the next two sets, 25-18 and 15-7 with the help of a rowdy crowd dressed in black.

Gauta finished with 26 kills, 3 aces, 3 blocks, 16 digs, and 2 assists. Gauta, Dela Cruz, and transfer sophomore Mikayla Sellers-Weibe earned double-doubles. Olivia Jarvis lead with 5 blocks.  Baty added another 35 assists, while Maliyah Tela finished with 27 assists.

NWC volleyball kicked off October with a red out game against Sheridan College. The Trappers won in three straight sets, 25-14, 25-22, 25-16. The team finished with an average of 17.33 kills per set, and 16.33 assists per set averages. Tela dished out 42 assists along with 2 aces.

Oct. 4 Northwest moved to 18th in the national rankings.

The Trappers were on the road Oct. 7 facing Eastern Wyoming. The Trappers took down Eastern in straight sets, 25-20, 25-9, 25-21.  Eastern Wyoming’s 31 errors led to pretty unimpressive stats for the Trappers.

Oct. 8 the Trappers took on LCCC NWC started with a 25-17 win in the first set. LCCC came back with 25-20 win in the second set. NWC won the third set 27-25, pushing the game into a fourth set. The Trappers would pull out the win 31-29.

Gauta lead the team with 23 kills and got a double-double with 12 digs. Dela Cruz also got a double-double with 11 kills and a team high of 14 digs.  Pittman had a team high 5 service aces. Tela had 55 assists to cap off the game in Cheyenne.

Gauta and Tela are ranked in Region IX conference. Gauta is ranked, 1st in kills per set with an average of 5.14, 1st in number of kills with 329, 1st in hitting percentage with a .350.

With these stats puts Gauta is ranked 1st in the nation in kills per set, and 4th in number of kills. Tela ranked 1st in Region IX in assists per set with 11.93 average which puts her ranked 3rd in the national standings.

With Trapper volleyball being undefeated in the first of round of conference play, puts them at pretty good odds of winning the regional tournament and returning to the national tournament.