The student news site of Northwest College

German exchange student reminisces about experience on the Trail

Marc Lamberger, Sports editor, 2014-15

Thinking back about working for the Northwest Trail, I will always remember those great basketball nights in the gym. I was lucky to work for the Trail as a sportswriter when the men’s basketball team had its best season in the history of the athletic program. Coach Erickson’s squad with Christopher Boucher, Nicky Desilien, Colin May, E.J. Hubbard, Daryle Morgan, Dan Milota, Tyler Chandler and Ammar Rehman made it to the quarterfinals of the national tournament, where they lost in Kansas against Northwest Florida, the NJCAA Division 1 champion in 2015.

At the beginning of the year I wasn’t supposed to take responsibility for reporting about men’s basketball. Instead, I was responsible for reporting about the women, which I did as well. But I saw the potential to change something for the Trail — to produce news in a modern way. Deep in print, quality in pictures, high speed information through videos during the game — things that I learned during my media experience in Germany before I came to NWC. In my opinion it was a fantastic year for both programs, the Trail and the basketball team. We published a special section just for the Region IX tournament that took place in Powell. The Trappers won the title, and the title of our preview issue was “Eyes on the prize.” I don’t have a copy here in Germany but I won’t forget the nights the Trail staff spent producing it. The biggest honor was when the former sports reporter of the Powell Tribune said that our special magazine for that tournament was better than the Tribune’s.

We ate together in the news room and worked late every Tuesday night, but it was always a great atmosphere. Rob Breeding cooked delicious pasta, pancakes, soup and one time we made a German/Austrian meal called Kaiserschmaren — a scrumptious delight. Yes, those are nights that I will remember all my life.

After I left NWC, it was already clear for me that that’s my last chapter in journalism. I had a great time in Germany, and an even better time in the US. But I took another direction professionally in coaching soccer. But I’m very thankful for the opportunities I had through the Northwest Trail. The students I worked with were passionate and some of them highly talented. I think about Alexandria Preis, Abbe Breeding, Bre Warren, Chelsea Blake, MaKenzie Beck and Matthew Strissel. What would NWC be without them? I can’t imagine that. For me it was very sad to read that this program will end this year.

The Trail was a big part of this college for so many years, students were waiting for the paper in their dorms or watched our videos on Facebook. For me, a big connection to my college will come to an end. I can’t imagine NWC without the Trail and the stories about students. You learned more about other fellows through the paper, you saw what’s going on on campus. It will be way more quiet on campus, soon.